Oratorical Festival 2017
Dear Participant (Must be part of Midwest Diocese),
Thank you so much for your interest. You can acquire the book on the Life of St. Mardarije through the Monastery bookstore at New Gracanica – call: 847-223-4300. The Youth Department of our Diocese would gladly pay for this book and the shipment of it – just let me know.
Fr. Dragan 317-374-3414.
The Number one requirement is that you work on this project with the help and counsel of your parish priest. Also:
– set aside the following dates when you will read the essay out loud: April 1, 2017 (mandatory) and one of the three dates during summer – July 14, 15th and or 16th.
– The essay when read should not be less than three minutes long more than seven minutes (8min. Tops) long.
– you would read the life of the Saint and write about one aspect of his life from an Orthodox (Serbian) Christian perspective, titling the essay yourself. For example: Suffering for Christ, or Confessor of Faith, or Awesome Pastor, or Bishop in America, or Much Lived in a Short Life…
– We need to receive your essay no later than 25 March through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– The essay needs to be in English but one may use Serbian or other languages in it as sayings or things of that nature. * The judges are Americans so they need to understand the essay :-).
Fr. Dragan – Director of Diocesan Youth Department
PS Your Priest may also contact me with any questions he has.
Oratorical Festival 2017– $500 scholarship
Dear high school student,
Every year around this time the youth department of our Midwest Diocese organizes an oratorical Festival and gives out scholarships up to $500.
We provide a theme and you write an essay 3-7 minutes long (when read) – consulting with your parish priest. You will read your essay at the Diocesan assembly at the New Gracanica Monastery on Saturday, April 1, 2017. You may also be asked to read the essay on either July 14, 15th or 16th 2017.
The general theme for this year is: Saint Mardarije of Libertyville.
Each participant is to title their own essay and write about a specific aspect of the Saint from the orthodox Christian perspective – having read his life.
We will provide you with the life and works of the Saint.
If you are interested in participating, please immediately send a text message to the youth director of our Diocese Fr. Dragan at 317-374-3414. The message must be received no later than March 10, 2017.
*The picture is of the last year’s participants.
Out of nine awesome essays, three were chosen to be presented to the diocesan assembly of the Midwest Diocese:
Jakob Delic – won first place
Ivana Bozic – second
Nina Kostic – third
On the same day the youth board was chosen. Following are the specific roles appointed by the diocesan youth director:
Ivana Bozic – President
Daniella Radunovic – First V. P.
Sara Vucic – Second V. P.
Nina Kostic – Senior member
Jakob Delic -Secretary
We are truly grateful to the parents, church school teachers and priests of all the participants.
Participants from Old Holy Resurrection, Chicago:
From St. Elijah, Merrillville Indiana:
From St. Nikola, Chicago:
From St. Basil of Ostrog, Lake Forest Illinois:
We also take the opportunity to thank our wonderful Judges:
Dn. Joseph Appling
Please look forward to these essays ( biographies and pictures) to appear in the Path of Orthodoxy.
An amazing event for which we are grateful to our Great God, our awesome Bishop Longin and members of the Diocesan Youth Department.
Dragan Petrovic- priest, Director of youth department for the New Gracanica Midwest Diocese